In teaching Music we aim to develop/promote children’s:-
- understanding and appreciation of a wide range of different kinds of music,
- ability to make judgement of musical quality,
- knowledge ,skills and understanding needed to make music,
- skills ,attitudes and attributes that can support learning in other subject areas - listening skills, the ability to concentrate, creativity, aesthetic sensitivity, perseverance,
- self-confidence and sensitivity towards others .
- enjoyment of music and music making.
To develop progressive schemes of work that will make possible the implementation of the Programmes of Study in the National Curriculum by incorporating the following:-
- singing a wide repertoire of songs,
- controlling sounds made by a range of instruments (including the voice),
- composing their own music,
- communicating musical ideas to others,
- developing an understanding of music from different times and places,
- responding to and evaluating performances of music whether live or recorded,
- ensuring that the child becomes aware of the eight musical elements –
PITCH , RHYTHM, DYNAMICS, TEMPO, TIMBRE, TEXTURE,STRUCTURE,SILENCE.
We work closely with Cumbria’s ‘Wider Opportunities’ programme to offer all children the chance to learn to play a musical instrument.
Our choir practises each week and are given as many opportunities as possible to perform.